Friday, June 26, 2015

Children's Picture Book Standings (Vacation Reading)

Knowing I would be busy working in Sports Focus Camp at Parma Heights Baptist church this week, I knew I wouldn't get much reading done so stocked up on some short children's books I could easily read in just a few minutes.  Here is my report on the ones I read going from best to last (in my opinion):

1st place:  Don't throw It To Moe by David A. Adler (Penguin Young Readers level 2)
I really liked this book a lot!  It is about a little kid who loves football even though he is small, gets teased and doesn't get much playing time.

2nd place:  Miss Hazeltine's Home for Shy and Fearful Cats by Alicia Potter, illustrated by Birgitta Sif
This is another very good picture book with an interesting story line as well about cats.  The most timid cat of all finds inner courage when it counts.  The illustrations are very good!  My cats voted this their favorite because of the plot with the timid cat becoming courageous.

3rd place:  How Many Cats by Lauren Thompson, illustrated by Robin Eley
This is a fun book that encourages counting and subtracting with very good pictures of cats to count doing all sorts of things.  I liked the pictures, trying to find all the cats, and the rhyming of the words.  My cats liked this book too because of the good cat pictures and the writing.

4th place:  Castle Life by Laura Durman
I liked this one next because I enjoy the medieval period with castles and knights.  This is a non-fiction book geared to children with colorful pages and short fact boxes throughout.  It gives lots of information and I found it interesting.

5th place:  Look by by Jeff Mack
This is amazing writing because he tells the story with just two words!  It's a funny book about a boy glued to the TV and his gorilla who tries to get his attention.  I don't want to give away the ending so won't say any more, but it's cute with great pictures on every page!

6th place: Cat and Mouse by Ian Schoenherr
This is about the relationship between a cat and a mouse.  The mouse gives tips on how to get along with a cat in a fun way.

7th place:  Bandit's Surprise by Karen Rostoker-Gruber, illustrated by Vincent Nguyen
I didn't care too much for this one because it is sad.  The first cat resents the new kitten which is normal but then the cat ran away and I didn't like that part at all.


8th place: How to Catch a MOUSE by Philippa Leathers
Neither my cats nor I cared much for this one because it made the cat be stupid and it was way too silly and demeaning to cats.

9th place:  War Dogs:  Churchill and Rufus by Kathryn Selbert
This is a non-fiction children's picture book about Winston Churchill and his dog before, during and after World War II.  I thought it was boring.

10th place:  If I Ran the Zoo by Dr. Seuss
I guess I was so disappointed in this book that I ranked it last.  It made absolutely no sense whatsoever and puts down zoos.  Didn't care for the drawings or the writing in this.

These were fun, quick reads that I got from the children's section at the library.

Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. To find books on a specific topic, scroll to the bottom and click on the topic you want. Happy Reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails