Saturday, September 22, 2012

"I'd Like to Apologize to Every Teacher I Ever Had” by Tony Danza (UPDATED)


Update 9/22/12:
This non-fiction book was a whole lot better than I thought it would be! I always liked Tony Danza from his TV shows. In this book, it's the kids that steal the show. That's not to say that Danza isn't good, he is. I enjoyed this book very much—it made me realize how difficult teaching actually is. I sure wish I could have seen the A&E show about his class, but this book will have to do. Loved it! 
(Gerard's review, rating:  5+stars)

 
I’d Like to Apologize To Every Teacher I Ever Had—My Year as a Rookie Teacher at Northeast High by Tony Danza is an eye opening read that shows what a hard job teaching is. When pushing 60, Tony Danza realized he was running out of time and seriously considered a change of direction. He looked into Teach For America and found out that technically, he qualified. He was approached about making a reality TV show using his class which he and the school agreed to reluctantly. He made it clear there would not be a script to add drama. All he had to teach was one English class for a double period, but that was plenty challenge for him. He also assisted in rounding up students for class and was an assistant football coach. He said his year of teaching was the greatest year of his life because he learned more and worked harder than he ever had. As he engaged his students in learning, he won their respect and grew to really care about them as individuals. I loved the exuberance he felt at the end of the year.

Having been a substitute teacher myself and having taught Sunday School for many years, I really enjoyed this book. I liked how he actually went into what went on in his class and shared his innovative ideas as to how he tried to engage the students. I also liked seeing him grow as a teacher and gain the respect of not only the students, but also the veteran teachers and administrators. It is an inspiring read that anyone connected with education would probably enjoy.
(Karen's review)


Have you read this one? What did you think of it? If you reviewed this too, feel free to share your link to your review in the comments. Happy Reading!

2 comments:

  1. Great review Karen, now I want to read it even more! It's so appealing to me seeing such a huge celebrity do something so selfless like teach. I am even more of a fan now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember who, but someone else mentioned this book recently--It looks like a good one! thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails